Sunday, August 18, 2013

First Weekend in Morocco!

Well I've almost made it through my first weekend here in Casablanca! What an exciting and eye-opening first few days it has been! I'll start at Day 1...

Day 1: I boarded on Royal Air Maroc late, late Thursday night. This was the first 747 that I've ever flown on. It was huge inside with 3 separate columns of seating and countless number of rows. Here's a pic of me with a row by myself near the wing exit (which I had 3 feet of empty space in front of me for leg room!)
 


 Within the 6 1/2 hour flight, I was served dinner (at 11 pm) and breakfast (at 4pm) which both were pretty good.
 
The rules and regulations for Royal Air Maroc are nothing compared to American flights...there was no "please be seated or put away your electronic devices  before the plane takes off/lands". Our exiting the plane was a little different as well...we carried our baggage down this flight of steps then waited on a bus to take us to the terminal.
 
 
After being picked up from the airport by Casablanca American School's (CAS) administration, we then drove into the city to our apartments. Driving through downtown Casablanca was very interesting to see. There are many white/cream colored, tall buildings that age from decades old to brand new. The driving in Casa was horrendous! Thank goodness I will not be driving here as it seems there are no traffic enforcers or laws. There were a few intersections with lights, but it's all a "no hesitation, just do it" style of driving!
 
 
Here is a picture of the boulevard that we went down to get to my apartment. No, I do not know the name because apparently here street names aren't important. There aren't any street signs anywhere! Everybody just goes by landmarks.
                       
 
 
The Italian Consulate (with an all-time stationed guard) is directly on the corner of me and here's also on down the corner...
 
 
And right across the street from me is an Irish Pub...so of course I had to go in and check it out!
        
 
 
 
So when I finally arrived at my apartment, I was completely exhausted after having traveled for a full 24 hours and was wanting to sleep, but the CAS administrators were adamant about setting up Wi-Fi (pronounced wee-fee here) in my apartment. Which I am completely grateful for now!! Here are some pictures of my humble abode :)
 
               
             The Entryway                                                        Guest Restroom
 
    
                         Living Room with large couch & loveseat and TV
 
 
  
               Large Outdoor Terrace                      Kitchen
 
  Master Bathroom with Toilet & Bidet
 
   Master Bathroom
 
 
Me exhausted and delirious, but excited to have Wi-Fi and cable hooked up! After it was hooked up, I made some spaghetti and passed out for the next 14 hours!
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment